How You Take Depakote Is Very Important
Your doctor will tell you how much Depakote to take (how many tablets and what dose) and how often it should be taken. Do not change the Depakote dosage that you take or the times that you take it without first talking with your doctor.
Take Depakote exactly as your doctor instructed.
Depakote or Depakote ER Tablets should be swallowed whole and should not be
crushed or chewed.
Depakote Sprinkle Capsules (for epilepsy only) may be swallowed whole or opened and the contents sprinkled on soft food.
The food with the drug should be eaten immediately without chewing. You must eat all of the food to get your full dose of medicine.
Be sure you understand:
- How much Depakote to take
- How often it should be taken
- At what time it should be taken
- What to do if you miss a dose
- How often you should schedule follow-up appointments and blood tests
Be sure to call your doctor if you:
- Have trouble taking Depakote according to your doctor's instructions
- Experience side effects such as: stomach pain, nausea/vomiting and loss of appetite, facial swelling, dark urine, excessive bruising, extreme weakness, thoughts or behavior of suicide, or change in the ability to think clearly
- Are pregnant or think you might be pregnant
Try these tips to help you remember to take Depakote:
- Set up a daily reminder to help you take your medication consistently. A cell phone alarm is a convenient option.
- Use a 7-day pillbox to easily keep track of your doses.
- Link taking Depakote with something you do every day, such as brushing your teeth or eating a meal.
What Should You Do if You Miss a Dose of Depakote?
If you forget to take your dose at the scheduled time, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose. If you are unsure about what to do, call your doctor or pharmacist.